Eight things I am looking forward to.....
1. Having the children at home for half-term next week.
2. The children going back to school after half-term (see – I’m thinking ahead).
3. Thai take-away from the van for supper tonight.
4. The philadelphus (mock orange) on the drive coming into bloom. The most divine smell on earth. First bud spotted today.
5. Going to the Heathfield show tomorrow. Pigs and tractors. Yay! (such a country girl).
6. A dry summer (ha!)
7. My lovely friend Penelope coming to stay in July. I miss her and her beautiful family.
8. Going to see Joseph with my family next Saturday. Reminds me of driving to family holidays in the 70s – no car stereo, just three girls singing the entire musical from the back seat…..how our parents must have loved it….
Eight things I did yesterday...
1. Made a pitiful attempt to clear up my sewing stuff.
2. Started making a mobile version of my traffic jam bunting.
3. Pretended that using a foot pump to pump up car tyres and bike tyres was as good as a work-out. Yeah, right.
4. Ordered 40 bags of horse manure for the garden.
5. Queued with the children for delicious ice-cream at our village’s new sweet shop. Proper strawberry ice-cream that tasted of strawberries. Yum!
6. Spent two hours trying to find a babysitter.
7. Went to the Charlston Festival to see David Lodge speak. Felt very young compared to most of the audience. I’m not a great fan, to be honest, but it was good to do something cultural.
8. Got lost on the way to and the way back from Charlston, but it was such a beautiful evening – East Sussex lanes and the Downs at their best – that it didn’t matter. Must get a new map that WORKS! (or practice map reading).
Eight things I wish I could do....
1. Be tidy (or at least tidier). What I wouldn’t give to have Mary Poppins’ finger-clicking skills.
2. Control my hair. I think my sisters & I keep Frizz-Ease in business in this country. Any other recommendations?
3. Raise one eyebrow. My younger sister can do this brilliantly. She is a barrister and uses her eyebrow lifting to very good effect, I am told. I am very jealous and have spent years practicing, but it’s no good. I just can’t do it.
4. Recognise different birdsong. I think I’m a bit dyslexic about this. Currently cuckoo, owl and pheasant are about my limit.
5. Somehow clone each of my children so that they can continue to grow, but I could also have them stay just as they are right now, aged 2, 5 and 8.
6. Learn to live by the maxim “Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” I am a terrible prevaricator.
7. Successfully persuade my children that not EVERYONE needs a Nintendo Wii, Playstation, PSP or whatever the current favourite is. This is a losing battle, I know.
8. Have lunch like this every day – eggs Benedict made with bantams eggs.
Eight shows I watch....
1. Seinfeld. Probably the best sitcom EVER made.
2. Eastenders. What a terrible admission. Sorry.
3. Location, location, location. Middle class property porn.
5. Desperate Housewives.
Er… that’s it. Does radio count?
6. The Archers
7. Woman’s Hour
8. Open Book